Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Day SIX in the Ouray Ice Park


Saif topping out on FingerBang WI5, day before. Vince and Jason in the riverbed a hundred feet below.


Sinking up to my knee and didn't get wet last night

We ran over to where else: SOUTHPARK, before the chicks with picks descended on the crag to snag chinpokemon WI4. I could have rapped down, but decided for some reason to use the nearby walk down with John. When I got there John was backtracking because the area I am pictured in above was even softer and deeper. I brushed him aside and tried to make it to solid ground and failed. My right foot sank up to my middle thigh soaking my foot and leg. What a PITA. I tried to ignore this wetness in the 10 degree air temps.

I jumped on the route and my hands were cold and my foot was numb, I had to come down, Stephen McCay and Alex Obert threw another rope on an easier line and I was somehow able to climb out. REST DAY.

Stephen Attacks the Pillar
I watched Vinnie prove that my fears of the river had foundation so I climbed back up the walkdown and rapped in over Chinpokomon. After Vince left because of his frozen foot (chuckle) Stephen, Alex (potential PMC member) and I (John) ran laps on Cartman's Mom Pt.2 (WI4) and Chinpokomon (WI4) 'till Alex had to leave. Stephen and I decided to give the free-standing pillar between the two routes a try. I over thought the problem, got on the wrong side, and had to give up for fear of a nasty swing if I came off. Stephen did better, and was only a couple moves from finishing the bastard off when his arms torched and he had to lower. A couple of the CWP ladies had runs on our rope, and we climbed out with packs, met Naz at the top and scooted.All in all a very satisfying day. Rumor has it that Vince saw some mountain goats on his frozen foot hike out of the park. He may have been hallucinating however.
Everywhere a sheep-sheep

more sheep

Sheep






































No comments:

Post a Comment