Sunday, January 23, 2011

Day 3 in the Ouray Ice Park

Day after the 10" snow fall, the day began with 5 whole degrees in the parking lot. I was hell bent on beating the weekend crowd like I failed to do  the day before and left at 730 alone up the Million dollar Highway to the bridge/memorial. I bumped into a former PATC MS lurker our listserve  Danny McGee or was it Danny Murphy. At any rate he moved to Denver and was talking about hooking up with the MS to do the Cassein Ridge or whatever it is coming up.  Our club is world wide!

I ran over to South Park again and set up chicken lover and john hooked on monkey phonics WI3. The Mozamas invaded with 30 climbers and soon filled up all the routes. They were very nice and we talked among other things Trip Reimbursement program and their liability insurance. It was much colder today than the whole time I was here...but the sun was out all day with blue skies.

John, Jason Es. and I ran laps all day long. We finally hooked up with NAZ and Saif. The water was left on last night during the snow which made a frozen layer atop the snow and made these huge slabs of death that had to be demoed on the tender masses below. One guy got nailed right in the face and is lucky to be alive. I took a shot in the latts just below my floating rib and it is tender to the touch; another few inches and i am sure I'd have a broken rib with the force i got hit. I digress. images by John Smith
South Park
 
Getting crowded



No comments:

Post a Comment