Thursday, January 24, 2013

Day 3 in the Park.

My phone alerts were going off all night about school closures and work delays because of the snow that fell overnight. We came down and had breakfast at the temperature was 25 degrees-tropical ice climbing. We waited and waited for Lee to come by and pick us up but we went ahead and headed for the crag at 0818-the latest we have ever left to go climbing. I saw Peter Kaskan and Eric briefly at the school room and climbed down the ladder. We set up a number of lines in the school room. Camino WI3, Desparado & Flaminco WI4, Verminator WI4; Dunce WI4, Dean's List WI4.  Concerned, we called the hotel to find out our comrade is deeply under the weather. Then, in a surprising turn, we find out that Jason has come down with a bad bug......KEEP AWAY!!

We climb in partly overcast skies in temps that defy WTF we know about ice climbing.

Tropical Ice Erik
This is could only happen in Ouray!

The morning flies by as we climb and have no idea what we are suppose to be wearing. I climbed in my base layer all day long and wore my gardening gloves to climb in and my guide gloves to keep them warm in between climbs. For the most part we climbed in utter comfort. Ryan Shauers said to me that he didn't get the screaming barfies once today and we laughed.

A sight for sore eyes on the down climb come Erik and Hillary. We have quite a crew building here in Ouray. Joe Martinet is not on the ice 3 minutes with his shiny new Nomic tools  when ice finds Joe and draws first blood and he is rewarded with an early badge to remember Ouray by!!!! He is OKAY.


Betty, Ryan, John, Hillary & Erik
Ryan
John
John's Tool
Betty
It was a great day in the park and I looked at my watch and it was 4pm......tomorrow will be another day!

Joe Martinet-Joe pulling a hard move and then losing his tool  :-)


1 comment:

  1. Hey Mates! I'm back home now and still pretty Ill. Seems to be the nasties from Down Under. Hope Y'all stay away from it! Worse I have felt in many years! Yuck!

    ReplyDelete